Friday, March 17, 2006

Long- Short Day

Today we had a a long, short day of working. We started late b/c I needed to go to work and do my time sheet. I then went to Lowes to pick up some supplies. Before I left to go to work for a bit we found that the belt to the dryer had shredded. So as I went to work Grace went to the repair shop to pick up a new belt. When we got back we started to work on the dryer. That took a while since we have never done it before. We got that working and it was already the afternoon.
We then continued to strip the hallway. I had gotten some pieces parts for the wall that had crumbled so I went to work on that. I had to first make up some wooden sticks to nail to the wall. then I took the wire mesh and cut it to size and nailed that to the sticks. Next was the mud work on the first layer. I put a thin layer on the mesh just enought to have a 1/4" on top of the mesh. That started to dry so I went to work on the wallpaper again.
I am starting to believe that the hallway is the hardest place to do any kindof work, b/c it is right in the middle of everything. It also has a high ceiling over the stairs thus requiring ladder work. The bad part is all the problems you find while doing the work. It seems as though the keys have come apart in the plaster and lath thus causing the ceiling to sag above the stairs. I may be able to keep it together by basically glueing it back to the lath and pushing it up from the bottom. This would require getting up in the attic and basically squirting a bunch of glue. Then someone on the floor would take this T shaped contraption and push the ceiling back into place. It could work if it is just the plaster that has separated from the lath. If the lath has separated from the beams then that is a different story. We won't think about that story just yet. Its not a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home